Sunday, January 15, 2006

Blogs and nosey Mum

On a recent post the rather anonymous Jimmy :-) made this comment about blogs - a term with which he was till recently unfamiliar:" A diary someone would keep if they still lived at home and had a very nosey Mum." I loved this - and it made me think about the activity (again!)

I recently commented myself on a blog post which seemed to me worthy of mild criticism. I hope what I said wasn't unkind - though I was clear in my mind that it was a point worth making. When I returned to the blog next day to see if I'd stirred anything, I found the post had vanished altogether. Maybe that was a Good Thing. Maybe I was being the "very nosey Mum". So what effect does the awareness of such a Mum create? If we know what we write will be read - and potentially read by a wide range of people who may not care about *our* feelings - do we then practise self-moderation so that we will not be ashamed later of what we have written today?

Seems to me this could have implications in the classroom - if we can get this idea into pupils' heads then all this apparent worry about moderation might become less acute. (No it won't. What planet am I living on? :-l)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:18 PM

    I have a few poems on this site-
    www.gypsyexpressions.org.uk
    if you click the writing page
    and then Jimmy McPhee-thats me.
    Happy weedin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jimmy - not so anonymous after all! I liked "Angel Song" particularly. Why don't you blog? Look at this blog for encouragement - he started me off. It'd be interesting to have easier access to your writing.
    How did you find this one, BTW?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:30 AM

    Thank you too
    I found your blog by following the blond joke comments
    being blond myself I only followed it to China and back
    (The loneliness of the long distance blogger)
    It would be difficult for me to blog as I know nothing about writing or computers
    I use the 'plunk and see' method
    on the computer
    and I can only write what comes to me - I think you would have to see blogging as fun rather than a chore
    and the better you would be at it the less of a chore it would be

    ReplyDelete