Sunday, December 16, 2007

Week at the knees

It was my turn to read the lessons in church today. I love reading, especially these wonderful prophetic passages from Isaiah which you find in Advent. Now I have to confess that today I hadn't checked who was reading until I was on the point of leaving the house, so I had no time to prepare; just a cursory glance at the lectern to make sure the bible was open at the correct place. So here I was, enjoying the rolling sentences, when I came to this bit: Strengthen the weak hands, and make firm the feeble knees.

All very right and proper, you may say. We should indeed be girding our loins for the coming of Christ. But I was smitten by a terrible mirth. Mr B, you see, has been complaining for some time of what may turn out to be cartilage trouble - but which in Biblical terms could well be described as "feeble knees". I am proud to say that I didn't corpse; I don't think there was even a noticeable tremor in my voice. But I'm glad my pal Di wasn't there. She'd have laughed for sure. And that, I fear, would have finished me.

No comments:

Post a Comment