Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A sedentary Synod

Steeling myself to pack and leave for Edinburgh and the General Synod of the Scottish Episcopal Church, I find myself dreading one thing above all other: the thought of having to sit in one place for just over two days. I know there are people whose jobs are almost entirely sedentary - teaching never was, as far as I'm concerned - but three years of what you might call freedom to roam have given me a complete lack of tolerance of inactivity.

That said, I'm always struck by the seriousness and dedication of the people responsible for the business of Synod - people who show me up for the flippertigibbet I've become, and maybe always was. I shall do my best to maintain my rapidly declining attention-span, to avoid eating too much bread at lunchtime (sends me to sleep afterwards) and to sit in such a way as not to induce or exacerbate the dreaded spinal lurgie. And next week, I shall walk it all off.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:35 PM

    You'll do just fine hen! Instead of eating bread, go to the workshop on blogging and then tell me afterwards how to do it. It seems I'm not very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WEnt to the workshop and ate the sandwiches! You just follow me, son, and you'll be fine ...

    ReplyDelete