Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Skype family McIntosh


Skype family
Originally uploaded by goforchris.
You've read about the family that blogs together? Well now you have the family that Skypes together. Thanks to the generous loan of an iSight from Mr Heathbank I was at last able to appear as more than an old photo for Catriona on Skype.

When I was small I was obsessed with the notion of travelling in Space - and the capital S is intentional. And I'm talking pretty small here - seven or so, if memory serves. But later came the kind of communications they had in the first series of Star Trek: I dreamed of face-to-face chats at the touch of a button. And here it is. Allowing for the slight time-lag when we waved to each other - as you can see, I'm doing just that - it was pretty impressive.

By the end of the call Catriona seemed to have become used to the idea that her grandparents were in the laptop. I can remember when I was convinced an entire symphony orchestra - complete with white ties and tails - fitted inside my parents' black bakelite radio. Some things don't change - they simply become more fun.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't technology wonderful? Such a cool way to stay in touch...

    When I was little, I was totally awestruck by Dick Tracy, the cartoon fellow with the big square chin! I dreamed of the day when we could just speak into a watch-like bracelet to people. Guess cell phones are pretty close,eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked, I saw, I giggled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:51 PM

    that's just awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, eh? Even if we do look like inmates of the asylum...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this has to be one of my favorite posts. NO, you do not look like inmates of the asylums- this is truly my all time favorite post. I just finished commenting to Ewan. Catriona is so beautiful. I love sharing the moments. What joy you and John must be feeling! Being a grandparent is so awesome. Skype makes so many precious moments available for all to share. I'm speechless....

    Best,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete