Friday, October 12, 2007

Virtual Christians

As I write this, I’m listening to a sermon. On a Friday, and on my laptop. It’s about the church and the possibilities of using new technologies for mission, and it’s to be found here, along with other posts on the subject of the speaker’s virtual ministry. I met him last night, in his virtual Anglican cathedral in Second Life, and reflected later that even if I were to go no further, I’d have noticed the difference in attitude between him/his avatar and some I’ve met already. It’s heartening to note that educators and Christians share a concern for encouragement and a willingness to approach and help the stranger in a virtual world – because if I notice this, then others will as well. And that, if I’m not mistaken, is ministry.

With any luck, I’ll attend a virtual church service on Sunday – though the time differences make for odd service times in the UK!

1 comment:

  1. Well isn't the world tiny!
    I fall over your blog & you write about a good e-friend & Anglican Church in second life!
    I write about church & website: http://www.liturgy.co.nz/worship/websites.html
    and have a little virtual chapel on my site too
    More web 1.5 than 3.0 :-)

    Bosco
    www.liturgy.co.nz

    ReplyDelete