Thursday, December 29, 2005

Carols at Cumbrae


Rehearsal
Originally uploaded by goforchris.
An excellent day - singing in the Carol service at the Cathedral of The Isles, Millport, on the Isle of Cumbrae. The ad hoc choir was the largest I've sung in there - 26 singers, I believe - and the entire rehearsal time cannot have been more than two and a half hours. When I do something like this, I cannot help reflecting on the fact that I've been singing here for 36 years - and wondering how long a voice can hold out!

It is interesting that when a group like this works together, age seems irrelevant; the singers' ages ranged from late twenties to early sixties and the shared hilarity revealed a fairly uniform level of infantile humour. Do we go on feeling like this till we're so decrepit that we can't stagger up the Coo Lane to the Cathedral?

Maybe tomorrow I'll summon up the mental energy to attempt more mature reflection - but no' the noo!

1 comment:

  1. It was a great day - at once exhilarating and terrifying, energising and knackering! Now I can't decide whether I love the big choir and the chance to mingle with all the lovely voices, or the intimacy of the small choir, with the need to overcome my bogeys of trepidation and lost concentration.

    ReplyDelete