Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Cats, mice and glycerine

I'm indebted to Mrs Tosh for drawing my attention to this wonderful video of a genetically modified mouse playing happily round the feet of a bemused mog. Apparently genetic engineers shut down sensors in the mouse's olafactory bulb (sounds very strange) so that it didn't shriek at the smell of cat. I hate to think what effect such modification would have at the Rectory.

Before coming across this wonderful bit of scientific dabbling, I was having a wee scientific reflection myself - about the nature of glycerine. Every year since 1973 I have made and iced my own Christmas cake, and every year I have used the same bottle of glycerine. I seem to recall having read somewhere that glycerine is chemically inert, which perhaps explains its long sojourn in my larder. As the bottle is only half done, I reckon it'll see me out.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know about anybody else, but ah'm no eating any of yer cake, Missus! Chemically inert or not....1973?!

    ReplyDelete